Thursday, November 6, 2008

Bloomberg News in Vanity Fair

Vanity Fair writes about changes afoot at Bloomberg News.

Quote from an unnamed spokesman (which, btw, is totally verboten at Bloomberg) about Bloomberg News versus the other wires:
“We don’t think about Dow Jones or Reuters or the A.P. in anywhere near the same kind of way, or as carrying the same type of magnitude. If I have a choice between giving an interview to Bloomberg or someone else, I never think twice about it.”
My nine years at Bloomberg were an amazing experience -- and even more amazing when I realize that when I joined, the news service was only seven years old. Now:
Bloomberg News’s 2,300-person staff is larger than the combined editorial operations of the Times and The Washington Post, or that included among its 135 bureaus are 30 in the Asia-Pacific region alone.
It's an interesting article (and enjoyable for me, because when I tell people in Vermont I worked for Bloomberg News, I usually get blank stares. AP owns the papers up here, it seems) for the questions about the news industry and Bloomberg's business model.

Check it out.